It’s Wednesday. We are here at the Netapp Insight event. And Netapp again is presenting on MAX Data.
A Few of the delegates.
@Arjantim @ChanEk81 @DeepStorageNet @settlersoman @darkkavenger @RayLucchesi @sfoskett @MBLeib @BenTGage https://tfd.bz/2pXpD82
also we have
@davidchapa @ChrisMaki @mcbride_ruairi at the table and @PeytStefanova and @timwaldron in the room!
Yes it’s the hashtag
#NetAppInsight and #TFDx !
Here we go!
Andrew Grimes is presenting
See his blog post on this technology prior to the release.
An Update on the Plexistor Acquisition: Introducing NetApp Memory Accelerated Data
Netapp Max Data : In-Memory Application Data Services
Product Page for Max Data a Acquisition of plexi store.
Podcast: Tech ONTAP Podcast Episode 154: NetApp MAX Data
- Netapp Flash Memory Fabric
- Max Data Overview
- Use cases
Netapp Data Fabric, this product fits well.
Real-Time Applications : the next phase of digital transformation.
- Deep Learning
- Real-Time Analytics
- Started with Disk
- Focus on the future of Solid-State Media.
- Then NVMe and now persistent memory.
Layer 4-Layer 0
- Lower latency, more IOPS as you move to layer 0 but costs rise as you move to Layer 0.
- ( note i’ll insert a picture here )
- Persistent Memory Technology.
- NVDIMM , based on 3D Xpoint.
- Costly – intel optane dimm’s should lower costs.
Comprehensive NVMe : End-to-End & non-disruptive.
- Add FAS, AFF, and AFF with NVMe non disruptively.
- Storage-Class Memory SCM as cache.
- Persistent Memory PMEM in Server.
- NVMe Over fabrics.
What is Max Data Design Goals
Faster application response time – focus on low latency
- leverage server-side memory data locality ( close to application )
- software-only approach + PMEM
- Acceleration for read and write workloads
- not a cache ( page caching not needed )
- current software stack written to disk. no re architecture of the software stack for memory
- Application plug and play
- enterprise data protection services.
- Put the LUN on the bus Enterprise Data Protection Tools
- Linux IO/ Stack vs Linux Stack leveraging Netapp MAX Data File System
MAX Data on the memory bus PMEM Data Acceleration
- Memory. DRAM, NVDIMM, D3XP
- Flash ( must be block)
- Local flash SSD, or LUN.
Memory Optimized File System
- Single Mount Point
- Acceleration any workload
- Focus on acceleration Writes.
- Read after read acceleration.
Minimal Change to the application
Accelerate PM deployments.
Server and SAN can be supported.
1:25 ratio T1 should be backup-ed to T2
Sub 10 Micro Sec Latency.
T1 replication possible. adds 4 MS of latency.
Max Data Data Services for PMEM
- Protecting writes at memory speeds.
- Max Snapsync
- T1 to T2
- Integrated with Ontap snapshot
- Integrated with ontap Snapmiorror
- Max Recovery
- T1 to T1 mirroring of writes
- Private RDMA Ethernet 100GB
- RPO 0 Data Protection for in memory.
- Brings Enterprise Data Services to PMEM
MAX Data Cloud Integrations
Integrated Cloud Services
- ontap fabric pool archive/offiste
- ontap NDAS Backup
- Cloud Volume Services ontap
Native Cloud Data Services
- Future Releases
- Resident Cloud instance
- AWS, EC2, With DRAM and EBS
- Azure, and GCP have been tested.
MAX Data Software Defined flash
Netapp MAX Data
MAX Data – Target Workloads
- Real-time Analytics trading platforms
- in-memory databases
- Data Wearhousing
- supports very large work sets
- 3x better OPS/SEC
- 4-5x lower latency
Planned on a PER Server license.