VDI: VMware View 3 Premier vs. Citrix XenDesktop Enterprise 2.1
Jason B has a new post on VDI vs Citrix.
“by jason on Feb.09, 2009, under Virtualization
VDI was hot in 2008 and it’s predicted to be even hotter in 2009. On the heels of this prediction, VMware commissioned The Tolly Group to compare two VDI solutions head to head: VMware View 3 Premier and Citrix XenDesktop Enterprise 2.1. The Tolly Group has published their findings in an eight page report which you can grab here. The results are not at all surprising:
The VMware View 3 VDI solution deploys more simply and more rapidly than Citrix XenDesktop 2.1. VMware provides more comprehensive, efficient image and storage management of virtual desktops. It provides end users with a quality of experience on the LAN that matches or exceeds that offered by the Citrix solution.
The Tolly Group used a standard virtual desktop configuration for both test environments:
- 1 CPU core
- 512MB RAM
- 8GB Hard disk drive storage
- Microsoft Windows Media Player 9
- Microsoft Office 2007 (full installation)
- Microsoft Windows XP SP2
In their report, they confirm the following five facts as the bottom line:
VMware View 3:
- Installed more rapidly and with considerably fewer steps and less manual intervention
- Provides simpler image management that makes more efficient use of disk
- Requires no manual configuration of Microsoft Active Directory or DHCP
- Allows management of all VDI functions through a single web-based GUI
- Provides equivalent end-user experience on LAN as Citrix for Microsoft Office applications
Given the opportunity, Citrix declined to actively participate in the product comparisons.
I thought this was interesting, and I wanted to post it.
Thanks to Jason.
Source Post http://www.boche.net/blog/index.php/2009/02/09/vdi-vmware-view-3-premier-vs-citrix-xendesktop-enterprise-21/