The general sessions on Day 2 of VMworld centered around EUC (End User Computing). Here is a quick summary and I will post links to more information as well.
VMware Workspace Suite
The VMware Workspace Suite is comprised of Horizon desktop virtualization, Identity Manager, Horizon FLEX and AirWatch EMM. The goal of this suite is to be able to deliver any application on any device.
VMware and Microsoft Partnership
VMware and Microsoft announced a partnership to enable delivery and management for Windows 10 applications and devices. This will be driven by a new VMware tech preview called Project A2 which is comprised of AirWatch EMM and VMware App Volumes.
VMware Identity Manager Advanced Edition
VMware Identity Manager Advanced Edition is a package of Identity Manager focused on broad-based deployment across all employees on any of their devices, laptops or desktops across any network for SaaS, Mobile, and Windows apps.
I will defer to the following blog post by Shankar Iyer: https://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2015/09/vmware-desktop-and-application-updates.html
AirWatch and NSX
VMware has integrated NSX with AirWatch EMM to deliver security capabilities to mobile devices that access the corporate network.
5 Imperatives for digital business from Pat Gelsinger
These are too good not to quote from the original blog:
VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger closed out Tuesday’s General Session with a powerful presentation on what it will take for businesses to succeed in today’s mobile-cloud landscape. Here are Gelsinger’s five imperatives for digital business:
1. Innovate like a start-up, deliver like an enterprise. Nimble startups are thriving in the mobile-cloud era, while large, stagnant corporations are being threatened for failing to innovate. As Eric Pearson, CIO of IHG, said earlier this week, “It’s no longer the big companies beating the small companies, it’s now the fast beating the slow.”
2. Embrace Unified Hybrid Cloud. The journey to the cloud is maturing as the industry shifts from experimentation to professional delivery. Unified hybrid cloud is bridging the gap between personal and private cloud so that organizations can take advantage of the best of both worlds.
3. Architect with security in mind. Instead of adding security in as a last minute feature, organizations need to choose solutions that have robust security capabilities built in from the start. Virtualization helps provide the foundational level of security to protect the people, apps and data that keep organizations running.
4. Automate everything to predict (almost) anything. The next major wave of innovative technology is automated smart technology that knows what to do before you tell it to. Apps, big data and analytics are the building blocks behind these emerging forms of proactive technology, and the businesses that know how to use them will come out on top.
5. Take risks to stand out. Businesses that don’t take risks and focus on innovation will not survive the next decade. And as IT professionals, we must constantly lead the charge for change by questioning the status quo and creating new, more efficient ways of completing traditional tasks.
There is my summary! You can get more details and more links from the original VMware blog post here.